View Single Post
Old 20 March 2020, 07:40 AM   #2880
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
We don’t have to have any names listed. This is an unprecedented thing. I think leadership around the world is doing fine except for maybe China. And my only complaint about them is we’re fairly confident that they were lying initially about what was happening. There have been some detailed articles on that and if you were interested I will find them for you.

A population wouldn’t be normal if they didn’t complain about their leaders. One side always blames the other. It’s mostly political anyway. Are you going to complain about one particular leader? Why? That leader he or she has a legion of other people beneath them making decisions and doing the best they can. This isn’t like some head coach calling the wrong play with three seconds left of the game. This is an evolving thing. Extremely fluid. It changes day after day. The best people in the world are working on this. If it makes you feel better to blame an individual then go ahead. Chances are you probably didn’t like that individual long before this virus came along.
Some fair points there. The leadership in Taiwan showed the world how to deal with this. Look at how they minimised the threat with quick and decisive action. You could look at Korea, Singapore and even China too as positive examples. I just feel that most Western leaders were too slow, too complacent, too arrogant and too unwilling to believe it could ever be our problem. Then, the people who voted these leaders in were also complacent and arrogant in thinking that our great and glorious nations would crush this pesky virus without breaking sweat. There are still people who try and deny the seriousness of it, still people who are going out in mass gatherings and visiting restaurants and other sorts of madness.
I also think one of the lessons from this is that countries need to be less individualistic. Hopefully we learn from this that the big problems we face are better tackled collectively and together, not in an "us and them" way.