View Single Post
Old 14 January 2020, 03:57 AM   #13
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Depending on what your goals are for having an open work/skeleton face watch, one doesn't have to spend a lot of money to add one.

Like you, I like the look of an openwork watch and always thought one day I would find one to add to the herd.

A few summers ago, I found myself at a large art fair in AZ and met a retired watchmaker. He had spent over 30 years working for several AD's and had his own shop for awhile. Over that time, amassed a ton of parts and movements.

He decided to resurrect some of the interesting movements and create art pieces as a hobby. He had a lot of different watch related art from necklaces, to rings and sculptures.

One of his favorite things was to take a pocket watch movements and add them to wristwatch cases or modify the existing case so it could be worn as a wristwatch. Many had the original faces of the pocket watch and there were all sorts of different sizes and shapes.

This one caught my eye. It has a nicely finished movement in an openwork with a display case back. I really liked the Panerai Luminor styled case which gave it a modern look. Not all his pieces were vintage as was the case with this one. Some, he just made because he liked the look. I don't recollect which movement this one is but I liked the simplicity and can actually read the time on it. lol

It was not expensive and a fun addition.

Good luck with your search.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote