View Single Post
Old 19 January 2020, 11:47 PM   #1
Storky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680
Icon20 Vintage Watch Box Project?

Hi
I have collected 'vintage' Rolex for around 20 years.
I know that years ago a project such as this was started but I believe the thread is now closed.

Various questions and posts have been made here for years regarding 'which is the correct box for my Rolex'.

We know this is not an exact science, and the question should be 'Which box COULD be the correct box for my watch' Because it seems you get whatever box your AD feels like giving you (maybe not so much nowadays though). The watches and boxes are shipped to an AD separately, without a particular watch in mind.
'Back in the day' I reckon the Rolex dealer may just of grabbed the box that they thought suitable.

So.... as a long term collector I was considering compiling a very comprehensive list of boxes with a table of known box references that correspond to owners watches.
Possibly at a later date developing this into a website in the same way that we have great websites such as:
www.5513mattedial.com
www.gmtmaster1675.com
www.drsd.com etc

Giles from Oakleigh watches (Who I have yet to meet!) wrote an interesting article on his website:https://www.oakleighwatches.co.uk/do...e-correct-box/

When the long-haired, flared trouser bedecked salesman brought out the white and green box that was supplied with the watch, his customer was disappointed. He had seen the nice brown one with the seahorse on it in the window and asked if he could have one of those instead please? This man was spending £270 on a watch and the salesman needed to make him happy so of course, he did what the customer asked.

The last thing that the salesman was thinking was that in 40 years time, this watch would be worth £10,000 and having the correct box would matter – and to some, I mean really matter.

I couldn't do this alone and thought I'd put the idea out there.
What do you think guys?
If it has been done in comprehensive way please let me know!

Here's pic of a few of my boxes just to whet your appetites... there are two coffin boxes (middle left) with the same reference numbers printed on the bases, but the covering material is totally different!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4229.jpg (215.5 KB, 575 views)