View Single Post
Old 17 January 2020, 11:17 AM   #18
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post
I believe the motion of the second had you describe is not uncommon on a 15xx movement as the second hand is indirect. There is some sort of spring arrangement which drives the second hand, and the tension of this spring is quite crucial and somewhat tricky to adjust. Sounds like yours just need a small adjustment, no drama.
This. The second hand is driven off the third wheel and a tension spring keeps the lash out of the gear. It has to be adjusted so as not to overly reduce amplitude, while also preventing the seconds hand from jumping around. FWIW, it's cosmetic and does not affect timekeeping accuracy.

Last couple 1575 movements I sent to rsc in toronto came back with too little spring tension. In both cases, my local AD honored the warranty card and made the adjustment in under 20 minutes.

Basically you lose a couple degrees of amplitude, but get a smooth seconds hand. No biggie, and I think the rsc people are so used to working on 3135 movements that they miss this detail when doing a 157X movement.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote