View Single Post
Old 27 May 2019, 11:59 PM   #25
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I agree. I sold my Tuttonero and 352 just before the market nose dived. I then sold my 526 Regatta. Thankfully I didn’t lose any money because all were bought way below retail. In fact I enjoyed all three for quite some time and, on two I made a few dollars. The third I broke even. I’ve only kept the 4 because I believe they will always be pure Panerai and, as LE models with no modern variant, are well chosen, I think I’ll be ok. No plans to sell anyway. The 111 with OPX is my beater and, oddly enough, its a very accomplished piece, despite being pretty low cost. The 687 is quite a bizarre watch but, every time I think of selling it, I wear it a day or two and fall back in love.
You did well for sure. The good thing about the "classic" models like the 111, 112, 000, 005 is that you can get them a grand or so off MSRP, but you can also sell them for roughly the same price you got them. I don't ever see my 372 sinking below 5k because it's basically a 47mm 1950s version of the models mentioned above. If I move it, I likely won't lose anything.

If you buy an LE Panerai, with the way their history as been recently, expect something similar to come out as regular production a year or so later tanking whatever exclusive value your LE has. That doesn't mean you shouldn't spend money on Panerai you like. I certainly don't think any watch should be an investment. The wise move though is to buy what you like and do it second hand if you want to save money.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote