View Single Post
Old 1 April 2020, 10:34 AM   #4635
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
[QUOTE=ronricks;10500405]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post

At risk people staying at home will help not overwhelm the healthcare system. Do you understand this? I never said for medical providers to stay at home.
We are talking at cross purposes. All plans that are credible call for an extended period of at risk populations staying home. I am not disagreeing with that.

And those plans also call for those that are less at risk relaxing some social distancing after the numbers start coming down. The reason for waiting for the numbers to come down is to not overrun the healthcare system.

Non at risk (or more accurately, less risk of dying) people not staying home will still overwhelm the healthcare system. I have heard no epidemiologist who is credible saying otherwise.

Everyone is at risk of catching Covid-19. Without social distancing of everyone, regardless of their age group, our heath system will surge with people needing medical care. You are correct that the odds of those needing medical care recovering increase with their being younger. But a surge on medical care, regardless of how old the patients are, exposes all medical providers working under a non prepared and equipped system to a greater risk of dying. So, more medical providers will die, even some who are not in an at risk group.

And, besides this increased risk to all medical providers, there is a special risk to doctors. One third of US doctors are age 60 and older.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...worse-covid-19

Unless we flatten the curve we will lose a lot of doctors.

Stay safe.