View Single Post
Old 23 March 2018, 02:45 AM   #52
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
I haven't had enough "rodeos" of tracking successful reference lines so closely through the end of their lives.

Here is something that I think is interesting...Could someone provide any examples of references that were very successful and simply discontinued due to normal course of life? Have certain colors in the past had smashing successes but get discontinued when a new movement/model is introduced to the family?

I get why they wouldn't want to discontinue a very successful color combination. Demand will outpace supply of that model for the foreseeable future. However, this is Rolex. If they think a watch has had a good run, they may just wind down the supply when there is a logical point in time to launch something new (i.e. roll out the new movement and case design). I'm not saying there will come a day anytime soon where BLNRs are just sitting around display cases and can't be sold, but surely Rolex may end the party early to make sure something like that never happens.

If I had to guess, next year we will for sure get a LN GMT II with the new movement and case on an Oyster bracelet. Anything beyond that in steel is anyone's guess. Given the launch of the Pepsi this year, I highly doubt the Coke comes in to replace the BLNR in the near-term...just think about it, too much red. If that happened, your options for a SS GMT would be an all black bezel, a blue/red bezel, and a black/red bezel. I just don't see that happening.