View Single Post
Old 9 December 2013, 02:34 PM   #15
michel33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Awesome watch. Thanks so much for sharing. Can you post a few more pictures??

A close up of the dial:

And some blurry and pixilated pictures from my crappy phone, sorry, I'm not at home and I don't have my digital camera.

Everything is original to the watch, except the (genuine) Rolex insert that is one of mine that features a "chocolate" patina that is eerily reminiscent of the Tudor Black-Bay insert color imho (which was by the way inspired by the patina of Tudor ancient inserts).

I checked the serial number of the Canadian Navy 94010 Tudor, it is only 89 watches ahead of mine… Not far away…

A canadian member of the Military Watch Forum, Lambstew, did some research about the Canadian Navy issued Tudor Submariners, I quote him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
The issued Canadian Tudor submariners were not property marked. I've had 2 of these over the years and still retain one with the partially erased owner's rank & name engraved into the back (PO Cumberland)..(case serial number is found between the lugs)..

I've been in touch with Rolex Canada (Toronto) and spoken with the head person there about these and he confirmed for me that these were unmarked, the case serial number being the thing that was likely recorded, a practice not unlike issued Vietnam era and just post war US UDT/Navy Seal Tudor submariners.

Rolex recalls at least 3-4 orders of these being placed from the late 1970s-1990's..

Cheers,

Konrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
..now if we could only motivate Rolex Canada to go through their records and give us exact order numbers/dates and the serial numbers..At the time he was unwilling to go to the trouble but admitted the information was still on hand..

So the info is there, but Tudor may not be prepared to disclose the Canadian Navy issued Tudor Submariners serial numbers publicly...

But why in the world would I believe my Tudor Sub may have a military provenance you may say???

Well, among other things, the serial number first, as said above, that is very close to the issued Canadian Navy 94010 round dial markers/Snowflake hand that was discovered lately (January 2013) in a naval basis.

But above all, a very strange and funny characteristic of mine, that caught the attention of the previous owners,who first made this proposal.

-We often refer to these watches by the "Tool-watch" nickname, meaning they were perfectly suited to intensive use.

But in the case of my watch, one of the previous owner really and literally used the watch as a tool!!!

More precisely, he used it as a……. HAMMER

As you can see in the pictures above, the watch is in terrific shape and beautifully preserved.

But when you look at the case back, you can clearly see the marks left by the nails and the case back center deformation, due to the impacts…..

Who on Earth would use a watch as a hammer to hit nails (or whatever piece of metal)???? These Tudor watches were not as expensive as they are nowadays, but still, they were expensive sport watches at that time compared to other brands…. And I have trouble seeing a civilian doing such a thing…..

I have another mint 94010 caseback, but finally I like these marks, I think they are worth any engraved case back, it is part of the watch history, and I cherish the idea that my watch was a "tool watch" for real.

Now that it has retired, this watch deserves a quiet and peaceful life on my wrist.

The "hammer head" caseback, picture taken by one of the previous owners, Krabong, from the "Time Keeper Forum". He was one of the first to investigate seriously about this dial/hands configuration, thanks to him:
michel33 is offline   Reply With Quote