View Single Post
Old 6 November 2019, 10:17 PM   #513
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Like I said I think you are living in the past, so is Lange, which is why I am not surprised they have gone with a high price, just like with the AP Code and VCO, while the hot brands like PP sports and Rolex have been underpricing their recent offerings and we see how sought after they are.

So I am comparing the 5522 and the Dato to illustrate how today's market works, the Dato is twice the watch the Pilot is but the Pilot is the hot watch not the Dato and that is all due to the price, it certainly is not aesthetically very popular and got lots of criticism for looking cheap and like a Zenith etc, very similar reception for the AP Code, another overpriced watch that is not doing well, while the 5522 has very strong resale.

And the knock on effect of the 5522 was the 5524 also had a great start and lots of interest and so have all the Patek sports, which is why Lange and AP should have thought of the family to come when pricing this, and not just about making the maximum revenue right now. Yes Lange make far fewer watches and the novelty factor of this watch will probably mean they sell almost all they make, but with so much criticism of the watch and without the attractive price they have made this release and the future of the family not as successful as it could have been had they had a more modern strategy to pricing.
I'm not sure what planet you are on to suggest Patek is underpricing it's current pieces? Current demand is despite price increases not because of an underpricing policy. Also you are conveniently mixing around your release times, 5524 came out long before the 5522 and the 5522 is most certainly popular because it is steel and limited to 600 pieces. The price of this piece new was very reasonable, but given it was limited to 600 pieces and not representative of a family it could clearly be priced at any point PP chose without fear of affecting sales of other ongoing pieces. I tried to get one at the time.
The problem with your price argument is that Lange cannot ramp up production to make a lower priced piece work when you take into account the level of finishing. There is no point selling every piece you make at a loss (taking into account development costs etc) - yet even you are suggesting Lange will sell all they can make.
What is your point? Do you want one but at a cheaper price?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote