View Single Post
Old 29 January 2018, 08:24 PM   #10
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Really big difference when it comes to stellas. There really isn’t any good reference examples which stand out compared to most other models where you can easily find correct ones.

With stellas commanding big premiums it wont become easier. I would only pay premium if I could have it verified coming through a well-known source. I am sure fake dials have been sold by auction houses but then it at least has that verification.

Stellas are beatiful and scary.
True. I read on an earlier post that RSC wouldn't work on re-dialed or altered dial watches. We would have to assume that they could tell the difference themselves (not that I would send an actual Stella dial to RSC). In the case of this particular watch I am looking at they are basically selling it for the going rate of an all gold 1803 so it wouldn't be a huge hit if the dial wasn't real. It seems that they are making no attempt to advertise it as a Stella dial...just as a vintage 1803. It's too bad that Rolex didn't maintain a serial number database of watches that were issued with these. This is a little similar to the way I feel about vintage Tudor snowflakes. I would like to have one but I think at least 70% of the ones in the past 4 years are redialed or have replacement hands (or worse).
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote