View Single Post
Old 2 August 2020, 10:41 AM   #6
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave455 View Post
I would probably beg to differ there.

In my experience, changing to a gold nib makes all the difference.

Not only do they generally feel better from the outset, they break in to a style of writing much more easily. And once broken in, they’re generally waaay better than a steel equivalent.

Now, I’ll grant you that most makers put more effort into their gold nibs, which counts for something, but just compare similar pens that offer both, and I’m sure you will notice a difference!
You are free to disagree.

No one writes with the gold in a gold nib and the tip is the same "iridium" family of alloys regardless of the basic metal. The iridium tip really doesn't wear much and with fountain pens it's more that the user gets broken in that any physical change in the pen itself.

It's not like I have not tried steel, gold, alloys and even glass nibs. I've been writing with fountain pens for well over a half century and own a fair sized accumulation spread across way over two dozen different makers. My first fountain pen that was actually MINE was a hand me down from my grandfather, a Sheaffer White Dot Plunger Fill Striated green. I still have it and it still works although the plunger has been rebuilt.

For the last year or so I have been using my Aurora 888P that was most likely made in 1959.

While the are gold nibs it is often prettier but it makes absolutely NO difference in the writing performance. Some of the best writing most reliable pens I've found over the years were the old Sheaffer "School Pens" that were all steel nibbed. I owned and still own many of them from all three generations as well as the newer iterations of the design.

Steel nib Esterbrooks:

I own more gold nib pens than steel nib pens but that's more a characteristic of my long term accumulation than any search for better writing pens. I'm not sure how many fountain pens I currently own but it is considerable more than a small sample.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote