Thread: Rolex v Omega
View Single Post
Old 17 October 2019, 01:11 AM   #14
DaveDhc
"TRF" Member

I have a Rolex, or Omega for each year of the 1950s (8 Rolex and 2 Omega). For that decade, to me the two brands are of the same quality.

I have a 1973 Omega 125 purchased last week which was never worn. That watch is superior to any watch I've ever had. I have owned a brand new Sea Dweller,
Rose gold Daytona and I currently have a brand new Oyster Perpetual 36mm. The Omega is breath taking and everyone who has seen it has been seriously impressed. Comments include "beyond amazing" and "never been impressed by any watch I've ever seen until I saw this watch". Based on this one watch, I'd say Omega is the superior brand to me.

I don't think the modern watches from Omega and Rolex are of different quality. I see them as equivalent.

If you look at the Omega Speedmaster Moon watch with Hesalite, there isn't a Rolex that could be a substitute. There are no Rolex watches with a cool factor equivalent to this watch ... my opinion.

I think Rolex are fantastic watches. They have a great history and some of their modern watches are still made that are consistent with watches of the past ... explorer, submariner no date, Oyster Perpetual 36mm.

It seems that the emphasis with Rolex and their modern watches is more focused on watch jewelry than watches that appeal for their function performance and mechanical precision. But as I pointed out, there are some watches in their lineup that don't have that blingy focus.

I think if one sticks with Rolex exclusively, they may be excluding many fantastic watches that others build, Omega being one.
DaveDhc is offline   Reply With Quote