View Single Post
Old 24 June 2019, 04:00 PM   #4
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Girard Peregaux reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I don't really like GP. They have a lot of "me-too"designs and I feel they lack innovation, except for some of their high complications like their constant force watches. The Laureto looks like a cross between a Nautilus and a Royal Oak.
This is a sentiment that is often expressed, usually as a result of a lack of understanding of the company's history, and more recently the history of the Laureato. The Laureato has a proud lineage over five generations, and it is obvious when you seen them next to each other. In that way, the current reference is a derivation of the previous four.

Photo credit: @crown comfort on WatchProSite

The Laureato was created in 1975 - yes, three years after the Royal Oak, but a year before the Nautilus and Ingenieur, and two years before the 222, so there is that. With respect to the similarity of the octagonal bezel design, most watch designs are derivative, and the Laureato especially, but also the RO, draw significant influence from the design of the original Zenith Defy that debuted in 1969.

Photo credit: unknown

Finally, the Laureato has always had an in-house movement. Neither the RO or Nautilus can boast that.

So, perhaps we can just enjoy the Laureato for what it is - holding it head proudly high amongst other distinguished company.

Photo credit: @crown comfort on WatchProSite

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
The watches are good value ( ie bang for the buck ) but that's because resale is horrid. So if you buy it, make sure you plan to keep it.
Unfortunately, this sentiment I cannot disagree with, and sadly it is possibly true because of the widely held first sentiment expressed above. So OP, I agree that you should buy at the best price you can and to hold for some time.

If you need a better understanding of the reputation of Girard-Perregaux, I can do no better than direct you to articles on GP watches by Jack Forester at Hodinkee, such as this one:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gi...-38mm-hands-on

However, seek out some of his others articles and you'll see this veteran of watch journalism is a fan.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote