View Single Post
Old 7 October 2014, 10:39 PM   #13
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post

You could have at least offered him $2,500 for it. That would have given you some room for service and it would have still been well below market price. I personally don't like taking advantage of people.
Says the guy who paid $1000 for a sea dweller, from a jeweler who paid $300. Don't see you concerned about the thousands the original owner of your watch was screwed out of.

You got a great deal, just because there's a market value for something, doesn't mean everyone's going to know it. This just goes to show how true the old saying "knowledge is valuable" is. A Rolex dealer won't even tell you if a Rolex is real or fake for free, so why should you give a free authentication & appraisal when you're buying one.

Plenty of people have gone to a jeweler who were sold an engagement ring for $12k saying it was appraised for $15k only to find out you can only get $3k for it after you walk out the door. And rarely do any of them say anything, because they were content with the purchase they made at the time. Just as the seller was content with the purchase price in this scenario.

The seller clearly didn't do any research and he got screwed, that's life. Who sells a car without looking at bluebook? No one, so why would someone sell an asset such as a Rolex without looking it up. He could've easily gotten quoted from a pawn shop, could've spent a few bucks on an appraisal, even googled 1980's submariner and he would've seen the approximate value. I wouldn't feel bad about getting a good deal. If you would've clued him in to anywhere near the value I guarantee he would've demanded top dollar. There's been a few watches I was going to buy, I felt the seller was asking too little, made them a better offer and was refused the watch because they were going to try and get more. Time to buy is when you see it, cash in hand, being a nice guy doesn't always pay off, especially in this industry.