View Single Post
Old 19 January 2018, 12:51 AM   #19
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
The Platinum Izumo fountain pens are available made from exotic hardwoods or ebonite and it is the ebonite versions with which I am most familiar.

The Izumo is a fairly large fountain pen, cartridge/converter filler but with an unusual and really sensuous shape. It's a fun pen meant to get the user giggling, particularly when I use one of the Urushi painted converters.

I just really enjoy knowing those little goldfishies are swimming around inside and nobody knows why I have the silly grin on my face.

There are almost no straight lines anywhere on the pen. Since each pen is individually hand turned they also vary in weights and dimensions. There is also a family of cylindrical versions made by weaving bamboo as the base for the urushi overcoat but since it is a clipless version I have never bought one.

Some Boring Details that show size variations among my Izumo pens.

The simplest of my Izumos is a Kurotame, all black. The depth of the urushi work is amazing; it is like looking into a bottomless well of pure water.

For the Izumo lime of pens Platinum uses their President nib and feed and each Izumo is shipped in a wood box with a converter, a couple cartridges, a silk fountain pen sheath and a roll of Izumo made paper.

For size reference here is the Kuro Izumo between a Platinum President and one of my Montblanc 149s.

jar is offline   Reply With Quote