View Single Post
Old 31 January 2018, 12:50 AM   #27
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
going beyond ebonite.

While the urushi pens we've looked at so far have been based on ebonite bodies almost anything can serve as the base. Next let's look at a few examples of pens with urushi over metal or resin bodies.

The first pen is an older Pilot with the #5 nib. The pattern is Sakura (Cherry Blossom) and the body is brass. It was one of the first urushi-maki-e pens I acquired.

Next is a Pilot Custom (interestingly not called a Custom Heritage like the other flat top Pilot pens) 845. It is a resin based pen and I've had several. It's a great size, somewhat on the large range.

The vermilion urushi version with some other better known large pens for size comparison:

Note that the black parts seen are NOT urushi coated.

And here is the black urushi version below a Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear:

The third fountain I'll talk about in this session is from Sailor and is based on the smaller 1911 resin body. It is based on the Siamese Fighting fish motif with each fish circling in it's own space but in full display. The technique in this example is urushi with maki-e and radan. The artist in this instance is Katsunobu Nishihara and the particular fountain pen is #1 of 10.

The Maki-e work shows amazing contrast to highlight sharp edges yet also show the delicate transparency of the fins:

jar is offline   Reply With Quote