View Single Post
Old 8 May 2018, 08:20 PM   #17
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Find out what he's interested in regarding designs. An architect might want stainless or silver rather than gold, or a more 'Bauhaus' style of pen design rather than your typical MB or Parker style.

I'd personally recommend finding a Rotring 600 fountain pen with knurled section. It's unique and was discontinued over 10 years ago. He's far less likely to run into someone else with one. An 'F' nib would be a good starting point if he's new to fountains. 'M' is a fairly safe bet as well. You can also find Rotring 600s in 14K gold 'M' nibs relatively easily and they're still in the sub $500 range if you look hard enough. Stainless nib versions range from about $250 on up depending on condition and would be a very good way to go. Avoid any "Newton" models as these aren't true 600s.

Good luck!

I have a Rotring 600 mechanical pencil that I love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I can certainly recommend this:

https://store.carandache.com/uk/en/7...-ligne-rh.html

He will NOT be disappointed ! Probably much better made and certainly less ubiquitous than MB.

If you go Rollerball, good tip above about gifting a good few refills with the pen.
I had a Caran d'Ache Ecridor that I thought was garbage and sent back the next day. Maybe it's just that line, but not a fan after that experience.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote