View Single Post
Old 7 August 2017, 05:05 AM   #248
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut4It View Post
I've tried shopping for Rolex in the U.K. and have had some limited luck, but generally find the experience to be incredibly off putting. I am beyond thankful that I can easily shop in the US and, more so, through Trusted Dealers. I actually blame the retailers more than Rolex. Just look at London where all ADs are actually owned by a single head office. Without competition, there's no reason for the market to be any different. They need to open up the UK dealer network a bit so that there's some healthy competition and real fighting for business. Until then, its no wonder you have ridiculous wait times and silly rules (e.g., you can only buy a SS model when you buy a PM timepiece). How did Watches of Switzerland come to own all Rolex affiliates in such a major metropolitan area?!
It looks like things are going in the opposite direction. Look how many smaller jewellers have lost the Rolex brand over the last five years or so, as they move to a more "boutique-led" model.

More competition and more supply would erode the perceived exclusivity and desirability (and residuals). So I guess it's a catch 22.
haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote