View Single Post
Old 19 December 2009, 10:47 AM   #12
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
Gee thanks now you have made it much more difficult for me to choose between the two for my next watch.

I didn't notice any coments about out of the box time keeping ability. I've heard that the new co-axial escapement on the Omega is quite accurate.

Having had a SMP for 13 flawless years, Its hard for me to say anything bad about Omega. Except I am appauled that the resale of these watches is dismal, its just plain unfair, given the quality an reliability they provide.

Given the resale of the Rolex and now that I have obtained one, I must say that I will be more inclined to buy their Sub when I decide to get one.
Sorry Don As for accuracy, both are COSC certified, so (in theory, at least) they should be at least comparable. The Omega uses the cal. 2500, which is the first use of the Co-Axial escapement - in effect, it's a modified version of the cal. 1120, with the beat rate detuned from 28k beats per hour to 25.2k. As such, I'd argue that the cal. 3135 in the Rolex beats it - if it was the brand new cal. 8500 in the Omega (a movement specifically designed with the Co-Ax escapement in mind) then it'd be a much harder decision between the two mechanically. I think the cal. 8500 is an incredible movement for the price point, and beautifully finished to boot. It's gradually being incorporated into the Omega range - it's in the Aqua Terra, De Ville Hour Vision, Constellation '09 and the PloProf
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote