View Single Post
Old 15 October 2021, 11:29 PM   #29
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
As others have said; congratulations on having this choice!

My good friend tends to mock me for utilizing my brain more than my heart… so take this with a grain of salt[emoji2357]

On pure aesthetics from both front and back I give it to Lange. Thee is absolutely no debate on the back!!

The white dial boutique 1815 Chrono is an absolute stunner and like you said many prefer it’s aspect ratio to the datograph. I went for the Datograph as I don’t mind the chunkier brother in exchange for the date windows [emoji3].

While I know many watches leverage the 31 day sub dial for date I do find it harder to read. That is why I prefer Patek annual calendar layout with the date aperture at 6 with moonphase and second. Of course the blue is beautiful.

On intangibles: I give the nod to Patek, it’s longer history, larger market appeal, sport models are extremely/impossible to obtain, and the fact they are privately owned.

if getting this particular Patek allows you to couple with a sports model preferably at the same time or down the road if you really trust the AD or you don’t mind if one doesn’t come, than of course
It’s still a beautiful piece.

On secondary market price; they are a tie in IMO I believe both models take some hit when you buy new and walk out the store but they both have pretty stable 2nd market pricing now that Lange has gotten an uplift this past year and should stay as Lange is paying attention to its distribution model.

On adding to your collection, it was noted that with your Lange 1, the diversity play is a Patek. I do however like the 1815 Chrono over the Lange 1. And as I mentioned earlier I prefer Patek’s other layout for its AC. I lucked out with the 5726….so int that sense i would prefer a different Patek to add.

On day to day enjoyment, I give it to the Chrono as a more interactive machine….while I don’t particularly think 30min chronos are even half as useful as a 60 min Chrono…there are just a lot less of those around! (But that is why I have the Dato and a sinn ezm 1.1). Would you keep your Patek AC on a winder? I don’t… but constantly find myself adjusting it manually via crown as the Power reserve is pretty much a daily use. Like you mentioned, the ACs are relatively more challenging to set with the pushers as the indicators have to be set in a particular order. And as you know… the advantage of not having a date on the dial…is that they are the easiest to set when you have a rotation! Of course if you wind it daily or keep on a winder. Or god forbid, don’t mind wearing your watch not set properly….because they are so mesmerizing to stare at sometimes I forget to even look at the time!

In summary, my vote for the 1815 Chrono, despite you already owning the Lange 1 (the Lange 1 is a classic icon!) unless another Patek that you can obtain is available AND. It helps you on your path to the next Patek!

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote