View Single Post
Old 28 September 2019, 03:13 AM   #14
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Why dont you just send it to Rolliworks? It will only cost a couple hundred to repair, will look perfect and brand new when done and will only take a couple weeks. Im trying to understand your logic but I am truly stumped
Ok, well, let me try to explain the whole story. I purchased the watch about 15 months ago privately. It was used and had a nick in the flank, as well as some wear on the bracelet, especially the clasp and the flip safety. I agreed with the seller that the watch would go to Rolex for repair, and he would cover the cost (which he did).

Rolex managed to laser the flank and the watch looked like new. The flip safety, however, lost quite a bit of material, but they did the best they could. I'll post a picture in a minute. I was ok with the result.

So then my son managed to bend the clasp the wrong way, which brings us to my initial post. I showed the clasp to two ADs and both indicated that Rolex would probably want to replace the clasp. The argument was it being "thin" material, "heat treated" steel, difficult to laser, etc... But for about $120 in shipping, they would send it to Rolex and back. So I gave the RSC in NY a call and sent them the pictures. The woman (Amanda?) called me back the next day and said that it would most likely be a replacement and I needed to send the whole watch to them by USPS. They would replace and return the watch by mail, but only insured for the MSRP. When I asked her what would would happen if the watch got lost, i.e. if they would sell me one at MSRP as replacement, we both had to laugh. She insisted, however, that they get the whole watch to NY.

As of today, I am therefore looking at a watch I don't wear because I lost a little bit of enthusiasm for it and the option to send it off to NY either for $120 through my AD or directly, but returning it underinsured, to have it evaluated. The risk being that they will want to exchange it for $1,450 + tax as they already indicated to me by phone. A friend of mine contacted "his" AD and they will basically allow me to send them my clasp and in return send me a new one with a pretty decent discount and no tax.

That's why I am at the point of rather getting a "fresh start" for my Daytona, rather than rescuing the old clasp.

I hope this makes some sense.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote