View Single Post
Old 16 June 2019, 03:59 AM   #116
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
OK, a quick update:

After cleaning the watch I stored the watch in a differnt new box and have not worn it since. Its been a few days and the rust (marks) have just started to return in the same circle patten around the fixed pins like before.

The AD asked to see it so I took the watch in yesterday. The AD was great and understanding, they saw the marks and agreed it has the colour of rust but did not know what it was. They said they never saw this before on a PP but didn't think it was rust as it had not damaged the finish and they could rub it off with the glove. They though it might be chemicals leaking out, but I did explan it was stored on its side and the marks are on the top edge. I said I'd expext any liquid to flow down with gravity not up, they said they didn't know.

They offered a sonic clean, I refused as it will also remove all the lubrication from the links. it can be returned to Patek although it will be gone a while and they have removed all the marks again. The final suggestion was taking it to the London boutique to look at, thats a pain as its hundreds of miles away, congestion and parking charges. They did offer to take it to London next time they go, I may do this but think if the rust returns it should go to PP for an opinion not a different store

I am not sure what to do now, its a good job I reported it to Patek Philippe myself. My impression from the AD is they have not reported it to PP but where just curious to see it. I'm thinking I should keep wearing the watch for a month or two and if it rusts leaving it to cause damage then taking it back. Although I am concerned PP will refuse warranty as I never cleaned or looked after the watch properly, any thoughts.
I would ask your AD to order a replacement bracelet now they have seen the marks. They can fit it and return the old bracelet to Patek for investigation. I can see no downside to this for anyone involved.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote