View Single Post
Old 15 January 2020, 02:41 AM   #39
JD305
"TRF" Member

Watch: Long E 1675
this will suffer from the same issues as say ... retouching or repairing a master painting, or repairing a Gold or Silver age comic book

the decision then will be up to the buyer

I would definitely go for laser weld repair on the inside caseback and caseback seat (on the case) ... this is where pitting mostly occurs on these vintage stainless cases ... and is a weak point of water and moisture intrusion.

laser welding overly polished and dinged up lugs, or dented up end link marks on the underside of a case ... these repairs are left up to personal preference

I personally would like to see a newly refurbished case, with a new crystal ... sporting an all original dial, insert and hand set. The crown and crown tube will def need to be replaced on any service. Living in a hot and humid city ... I can go from 90+ degrees with 90% humidity outdoors ... into a 70 degree air conditioned room ... talk about temperature change of a case and humidity getting inside.

I mean ... this is all assuming that you are wearing this watch frequently ... even if you rotate it with others.

the fly in the ointment are the few dishonest sellers out there ... or maybe a buyer that gets duped and then tries to resell the watch years later ... only to encounter that he never had a truly original condition case

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Sorry interesting points but much different than my perspective. I prefer the use of the term "refinished" to both "polishing" and "recut".

Watchmakers have been refinishing cases for many decades now - the only difference between then and now is modern technology which makes for a more professionally refinished case when compared to the old technology from decades ago.

If a vintage watch was refinished poorly in the past, I see no issues with having a case properly redone now that modern technology is much more readily available to correct an improperly refinished case from a previous service.
JD305 is offline   Reply With Quote