View Single Post
Old 17 January 2021, 10:41 AM   #12
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
I just checked on my recently arrived 1118. Confirmed there is no hacking nor seconds reset in the movement. Solid case back so I can't compare movement finishing.

I still love the watch and remain a big fan of Panerai. However, this is disappointing news as I really enjoy that feature.

While I don't want to go down too pessimistic a rabbit hole on their motives, I'd be very interested to know exactly what was changed in the movement and why?
That is advertised as a P9010 for the Pam 1118. If it doesn’t have a P9010 then it is bait and switch and a absolute dealbreaker. No way at that price point should a movement not have a hacking second. Quite frankly, I would demand my money back for any new watch with a demoted movement (and not advertised it was changed) without hacking seconds. This is not a minor change done to any movement unless the entire movement has been reworked to eliminate this feature. How can the movement still be labeled a P.9010 at this point??
This news will be a nuclear explosion in the watch world once it gets reported if it is to be true.

Directly from the Panerai web site as of 01/16/2021:
https://www.panerai.com/us/en/know-h...ts/p-9010.html

The automatic P.9010 calibre, entirely developed and created in the Panerai Manufacture in Neuchâtel, has central hour and minute hands, the small seconds dial at 9 o’clock and the date at 3 o’clock. The energy necessary to accumulate a power reserve of three days – the basic standard for Panerai in-house movements – is stored in two spring barrels whose springs are wound by an oscillating weight operating in both directions. Consisting of 200 components including 31 jewels, the calibre has a diameter of 13¾ lignes and it is 6 mm thick. The balance, fixed by a bridge with twin supports, oscillates at a frequency of 28,800 vibrations per hour (4 Hz). It is associated with the device which stops it as soon as the winding crown is pulled out, enabling the watch to be perfectly synchronised with a reference signal. In the P.9010 calibre the hours can be conveniently adjusted without interfering with the movement of the minute hand, thanks to the device which directly moves only the relative hand in jumps of one hour forward or backwards. This function is very useful when changing time zones or moving between summer time and winter time, and conveniently the adjustment of the hour hand is automatically connected to the date indicator.

At the 46 second mark in the video in the link provided shows the crown pulled and the hacking second enabled.

This is what we call a ”smoking gun” in my companies legal dept.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote