View Single Post
Old 16 March 2020, 08:49 PM   #2187
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
I can't wrap my head around the panic vs death rate percentage. Here in the US we had a nasty flu bug wipe out 50k in the 2017-18 season. I had to look that up because it wasn't news worthy, at least not 24/7 on TV. I get that this strain is reported to be even nastier but we are mid spring at this point and 50 deaths so far. Even if we hit 4,000 deaths, the panic is way out of proportion. Im a commercial pilot, even flew medivac for a few years with infected folk (SARS/MRSA). Nothing has gotten more air time than this bug.

Ill be super pissed if they impose some sort of nation wide travel ban to keep up with the Jones. At this point, its in every major city in the US....IE its spread nationwide, period. Avoiding large crowds, being smart, washing hands etc are all good practices that everyone should be doing everyday. At this point, containing it within neighborhoods, schools, households etc is the smartest course of action. Shutting down interstate commerce is window dressing and will have catastrophic effects on our economy with little health gain.
Agreed

Before these knee jerk panic reactions were made, and jobs eliminated, I wish they would have thought about a man I once knew :

He was young, hard working, left to his own means raising a daughter by himself. Lived paycheck to paycheck, struggling to provide what was necessary without a young daughter knowing of the situation, because he was raised to be responsible. On occasion, there was only enough dinner for daughter on Thursday. Friday paychecks meant groceries, gas, and hopefully a packed sandwich daily for work the next week.

So, ................ instead telling little Buffy and Bobby that you have to cancel the weekend ski trip to the Alps, imagine telling a daughter “ you go ahead and eat dinner baby, daddy’s not hungry this evening”.

I still know that man, and now you do too ....................

Those that nonchalantly say “we’re going to have some hardships” don’t have a damn clue what hardships are.