View Single Post
Old 30 May 2023, 10:52 AM   #4155
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Wow, this is a really long thread. I've skimmed through most of it and the last 20 or so pages more in depth. What brought me here was that I noticed my DJ41 has needed more time adjustment than my other watches I wear in rotation with it. I had known about the 'new' 32XX movement and some issues with it, but I didn't dive into it until it was hitting home. This weekend I bought a weishi 1900 timegrapher to test my own watch(es). This confirmed to me that my DJ41 suffers from low amplitude and poor timekeeping. I added my vote to the poll based on measured data. I'm 24 hrs into testing the DJ41 and a few other Rolex and one non-Rolex mechanical watches. None of those have the 32XX. I'll post that data when I get a few more datapoints. But life gets in the way of taking this data.

Luckily the DJ41 which I bought new in Aug 2019 is still under warranty. I wear it in rotation with several other watches. So I wear it once or twice a week and it is on an Orbita winder when I'm not wearing it.

I like the watch. I'm glad I bought it. I have no plans to sell it because of this. But what irritates me is that I feel Rolex knew the shortcomings of this movement well before they put it in production 8 or so years ago (they must have tons of test data) and know through their service data that this movement has issues that violate their own standards. But they made the calculated decision to release it any way. To just absorb the cost of warranty repair as a cost of doing business. They conceal this from customers hoping that most won't notice (this appears to be the case) and eventually when the watch gets bad enough they will send it to an RSC to be repaired at the customers expense. So Rolex eventually will make money at the RSC's due to this movement. My goal is to avoid this if possible so I want to send it under warranty for repair and hopefully they may actually make this movement right.

Some say 'don't worry, just enjoy the watch' which I really want as well. But I didn't pay $10K for a watch with an in-house Rolex movement that is worse than my Selitta 300-1 based watch that cost $1,600. Rolex is risking their reputation on this issue. Many customers only buy a Rolex for the name recognition. Fewer buy them for their timekeeping accuracy. They have spent over 100 years building their reputation. Ask Panerai how quickly that can be damaged.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote