View Single Post
Old 29 January 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by watch watcher View Post
Is it possible to upgrade a single core computer (Compaq Presario SR1603WN) to a dual core set up? I've upgraded the RAM from the paltry 256 MB by adding 1.5 G which made a dramatic difference, but it's still slow accessing programs, opening new tabs and etc. (No gaming or such nonsense.)

Ahh my First Customer LOL

Yes it is possible. If im not mistaken, yours is an AMD machine right not Intel... please open the Machine and look at the Motherboard. if your motherboard is ASUS A8AE-LE or AmberineM-GL6E, then you would need a socket 939 Processor. the only AMD Dual core you can put in it AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+.

however, speed isnt all about processors. that is a misconception with computers and have become a marketing scheme. Although Processing power does affect the overall performance of the system, it only accounts for 30% of the relative performance. the other 40% is based on the Hard Drive. you want a speed boost? Change the hard drive to Western Digitals Velocity Raptor!!! 10000 RPM(revolutions per minute). unless you do alot of multi tasking or video editing and photoshop, you really dont need a dual core. it depends on what you use the machine for. if you will be running Windows 7 then Dual core is the minimum.

Check this Link out.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...ct=1118242#N85

Buy the processor at Circuitcity.com or tigerdirect.com Newegg charges tax so i dont like them.
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote