View Single Post
Old 30 September 2015, 04:54 PM   #33
eightbore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post

IMO the new ceramic sport watches are an improvement and a broken ceramic bezel is still pretty rare. Regardless of whether or not you agree with me, comparing the quality of the aluminum bezels to the cerachrom isn't exactly apples to apples.
There are plenty of stories here on TRF (and other forums) of broken or chipped bezels that are often associated with pricey repairs/replacements. I agree that the ceramic might look better, but it is absolutely "apples to oranges" in terms of "durability" as expressed in cost/benefit terms. In the abstract, I agree that ceramic is surely more difficult to scratch, chip, or crack than the old aluminum inserts. BUT, the old aluminum inserts cost what....$30? Given that, I am now really curious to see what this bezel insert costs to replace given what a show Rolex has made of how difficult/expensive the color combination was to produce. For now, let's be kind to Rolex and say they charge $600 for a new bezel insert (bet it's more). Are you really trying to tell me that the aluminum inserts are/were 20x more likely to need replacement? If they were not, then it seems to me that ceramic is a really poor value proposition....particularly on a watch renowned for its "durability".