View Single Post
Old 17 June 2019, 06:32 AM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
At that asking price, I'm thinking this is a pass. It's probably a reference 105.012 or 145.012 that has been overhauled. Crown, pushers, crystal, dial and hands are all replacements, and that's all right, but that's not the correct replacement dial for it. If it is one of the references I mentioned, then the dial should say "Professional". The dial that's in it has the applied Omega symbol and the longer indices, but this is what came in earlier, pre-Professional Speedmasters prior to 105.012 and 145.012.

To me, a $10k Speedmaster Pro with caliber 321 ought to be a better preserved example than this one is. Still, it's probably worth continuing a discussion with the seller to see what's possible. I recommend having the case opened to see what reference number and other markings are inside, the condition of the movement, and whether its serial number makes sense for the reference. If those things check out, and if you have a motivated seller who will listen to a fair market offer, then you could buy it and simply source a correct replacement dial for it.

I'm hesitant to say what fair market is because I haven't been hunting in this territory very recently, but my sense is a watch like this one (assuming markings inside the case and on the movement don't cause concern) is more like $5-$7ish.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote