View Single Post
Old 21 October 2015, 02:24 PM   #43
Watchlover1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangsar1 View Post
Hi All

Thanks for sharing this great piece of historical fact. I love Omega and Rolex and many other brands. I say this because I recently heard a podcast made a few years ago by Jake Erlich where he interviewed T Walker Loyd. Mr. Loyd was a professional diver who became a Rolex executive (director). Basically his job was product placement. He got a Rolex on to everyone from Bill Cosby (pre roofy days) to Clint Eastwood, Tom Selek, and 100's of more. Anyway, he made a comment that really ticked me off and it was a cheap shot that, imho, only made him look like a schmuck. Jake was pressing him on why Rolex wasn't the "NASA" watch. Jake referenced many pics of astronauts wearing GMT's and wanted to know how that could be. Well as was previously mentioned here, the astronauts where given Speedys as official gear but they brought up other timepieces on their own accord. Everything from a Bulova to a Rolex was taken up there! So when T Walker was pressed for a response he refused to acknowledge that Rolex failed the heat portion of the test where the hands melted and just spurted out "they paid for it"! Meaning Omega bought their way on to the moon and didn't earn it. Complete historical revisionism if you ask me!!! However NASA obtained all the timepieces they tested is for a different post but suffice it to say that in this instance Omega simply made a better product. (Pause as all the Rolex fanatics are recessitated) It's nothing against a Daytona. But coming from a man who's job was to give Rolex's away to the right kinds of people who could promote their advertising image, it seems a bit disengenuous of him to respond the way he did.
Watchlover1 is offline   Reply With Quote