View Single Post
Old 16 December 2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I actually don't own either but I've certainly been around these watches one way or another to offer a little bit of advice.

Let's start with function and practicality:
The gmts 24 hour hand is not for everyone, I'd be willing to bet 90% of its users have never even set it. Don't let that deter you you though, I've never taken my submariner below 8ft and My Yachtmaster has never been on even a rowboat. But it's still important to know if it's something that is important to you. If you're unfamiliar with the function, do some research so you can go into your decision in the know. Same thing applies to the directional bezel of the Yachtmaster. If there's some reason this function suits your needs, make a point to consider than when balancing the decision scale.

Aesthetics and fit:
This is likely going to be the most important aspects of your decision. Let's begin with the size. Both watches have 40mm cases. Keep in mind the BLNR will wear more like a 41-42mm while the Yachtmaster is a bit more true to 40mm. If you have a big wrist and stature you might lean more towards the BLNR. I personally tend to gravitate towards bigger watches (even with a not so big wrist) which is why I never pulled the trigger on the YM even though it is a watch I've always loved! Perhaps the size doesn't matter to you so moving on to aesthetics...

This is going to easily be the most subjective topic. Which do you like more, which is more pleasing to you eye, which sings to you, etc?

IMO the BLNR will be the more versatile watch. The YM is truly stunning, so much so that I think it pops in any scene with any outfit on any wrist. It's definitely a watch that will get more attention (IMO).

Materials: aside from the aesthetics and overall design of the watch the only difference I know of is the Ceramic bezel. Ceramic is relatively new to the watch scene so it's not for everyone. I wore a 16610 Submariner with an aluminum bezel for 15 years. I was completely blown away by the ceramic bezel on my 116610. It's become above and beyond my favorite watch and a big part of that is the ceramic bezel.

Lastly a little about you: do you have any other watches? Have you tried these watches on yet? I know you said you work in the auto business but does your job require a daily suit and tie, or mechanical attire or casual clothing?

Most important thing is that you get to an authorized dealer and try both watches on. If you don't know after that experience, keep internet stalking and researching. Instagram has a lot of amazing photos. And periodically check back in at the AD to try them on again.

Keep us updated and best of luck!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote