View Single Post
Old 18 March 2020, 03:16 PM   #2545
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Let’s be South Korea, Singapore, South Korea. We need more tests, more social distancing, more hospital beds and more ventilators.
Singapore does not do as many testing as South Korea, but the health ministry here is totally obsessed with finding out the sources of all the infections, where they have been to, and linking them together (clustering). There is a team from the health ministry who perform "contact tracing" on these individuals who were infected, and who they have been in contact with, asking them very detailed questions on their whereabouts with beginning and ending timing 2 weeks before they become symptomatic. All close contacts of infected individuals will be issued quarantine orders or stay-home-notice for 14 days regardless how many people are involved. Key approach here is early identification and early quarantine before possible infected individuals spread the virus to more people.

Re Korea, I am in awe of their tenacity to test so widely across their country. This gives a great level of assurance and confidence to the people, and in a certain way, reduce anxiety on the population, particularly on an "invisible enemy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWH View Post
Don't forget Taiwan. Taiwan actually had this under control better than any other country but it's grossly under reported. The faster we can get things under control the faster we can get back to normal.
Absolutely.

Taiwan is very impressive. In addition to those lessons learnt during SARS, the Taiwanese have historically been very conscious about wearing masks in public places when they don't feel well. It is like a practice ingrained in their mind since young. They are also very hygienic in their day-to-day. I believe this further controls the transmission of the coronavirus. However, I acknowledge this is not a widespread practice across the globe, as in certain cultures, wearing masks could be seen as ill.