View Single Post
Old 21 August 2011, 09:43 AM   #92
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I've had a little experience with papers thru the years, and while I agree and disagree with some of the comments here, my observations are:

The early 1970's and up warranty paper did not have a water mark at first and was added sometime after they began printing them. I have seen French guarantee papers from USA jewelers/dealers but it is very, very rare. Who knows where a USA dealer obtained a Rolex with a French warranty paper, but more than likely it was from a dealer overseas. I have seen more French warranty papers issued thru the US PX exchange than from dealers. Dealers did have blank warranty papers at their disposal, as it was just a WARRANTY PAPER! While most contained punched serial numbers, some were hand written and some were typed. No big deal here. Dealers can still have warranty cards reissued today, but they have to go thru Rolex to have the card re-issued. Dealers now do not stock or have at their disposal, blank warranty cards.

As far as watches purchased in Switzerland, since they speak French and German, warranty papers in Switzerland could be French or English. This is not a mystery either.

Now, back to this GMT. When I see a French warranty paper with a USA band, that was not issued thru the US PX exchange, it is a red flag to me. Not a major red flag here, but still something to consider. Another thing I see quite often is a vintage watch for sale that has a Swiss band, French warranty paper and a USA made box. When I see this, it usually tells me that something, or someone has been piecing together parts/accessories etc. Is it a deal breaker, maybe, maybe not. It becomes a deal breaker to me when the seller's answers to my questions are not possible for this combination.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.