View Single Post
Old 22 July 2021, 10:34 PM   #102
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
I recently saw a documentary on the impending “Big One” that’s likely to hit LA in our lifetime. I love me some CA, but if that impending colossal disaster is as big as they expect it to be, it will destroy the CA economy and threaten the country’s overall economy. It’ll take years and historic amounts of resources to dig out and rebuild the area, not to mention the unimaginably tragic loss of life that will occur. It will likely end up being the greatest natural disaster in our country’s history and will affect all of us in some way.
It's kind of amusing about always hearing about 'the big one". In-laws in Wisconsin call all the time and say, I just saw you had an earthquake, are you alright.

The fact of the matter is I've lived here for 30 some years and felt maybe 3 earthquakes. Meanwhile every other part of the country has floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, etc etc and they have earthquakes as well.

Not saying we couldn't be wiped out tomorrow by the big one, but I've lived here 11,000 days of pretty nice weather and climate and I can't say that about where other people live.

Actually due to climate change, drought and fires are now a bigger concern than earthquakes.