View Single Post
Old 22 July 2019, 11:05 PM   #25
MORA
"TRF" Member

I sold a 114060 and wear a Speedmaster 3570.50 almost daily. While the build quality of the modern Rolex watches is very good I never warmed to the glossy ceramic bezel and glossy dials. They're finger print magnets and not the most legible. I also tried a 16600 Sea Dweller for a while and while I really like the older 5-digit (or even better 4-digit) models I seemed to enjoy the Tudor Pelagos more than the Sea Dweller. So I opted for the Speedmaster over the Sub & Sea Dweller and added a Pelagos. It's all a matter of preference - all of these watches are so well made.

There's not a more tested watch in the world than the Speedmaster. It doesn't have all of the modern materials and precise machining that go into both modern Rolex & Omega watches - it's a bit of a time capsule. That doesn't mean the watch isn't incredibly well made - mine is going on 20+ years without a service and keeping good time.

I tend not to base my watch choices on build quality alone - that's just a game of leapfrog that will change every year as technology progresses - you'll never be happy if that's your goal. The Speedmaster is a classic and there's just something special about it. I enjoy winding it up and putting it on my wrist far more than I enjoyed the Sub - but the next guy might not feel the same. It's like driving a classic car - there's a certain 'romance' to it that you won't get from driving a new one off the lot.

So for me, the Speedy put my Rolex in the box.
MORA is offline   Reply With Quote