View Single Post
Old 28 November 2012, 04:11 AM   #19
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
My husband owns two Invictas because his TT Sub would get destroyed at his work...some may think it is cool to mash up an expensive TT watch, and if they like that, fine, but the watch was a gift from his father and he wears it only for special occasions. Plus, the Invictas chronograph has a date on it. He wears them on NATO straps.

We've also given my brother an Invicta watch (an Explorer look-alike).

I wore relatively cheap Ann Klein department store watches for years while I was saving up my money for a Rolex.

Given that I have no problem with inexpensive watches in general (although seeing pudgy professionals wearing a digital G Shock with a suit bothers me) or. Invictas in particular, that watch is very, very expensive for what it is. $500 would be stretching it. Can you find a used one?

My husband got an expensive automatic TT Tag before he got his Rolex. In 2000 it had a retail value of about $1,100, and got it for about $850 or so. He wore it everywhere, all the time. The gold on the bracelet link has worn off, and the watch doesn't keep good time. It has essentially no resale value that we know of (unless someone here wants to take it off of our hands). Before that, he purchased a cool-looking Hamilton watch for a few hundred dollars...the crown came undone somehow (it was loose) and the watch was ruined. The cost of repair far exceeds the value. Before that, he had the very popular (and overpriced) Swiss Army watch. He received the SS model for his college graduation in the early 90s. I think it cost $500 then. Before that, he had several that were on the black nylon strap. They broke so quickly (but fortunately under warranty) that I thin he went through three of them.

Lesson? Either get a cheap, beater watch that will serve you well (maybe under $250) or spring for "the real thing."
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote