View Single Post
Old 5 October 2017, 03:29 AM   #39
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhein View Post
This raises a question with me. When Rolex guarantees a watch to within +2/-2s/d, does it also warrant a certain range of amplitude and/or beat error? Can't a watch be running at an accurate rate, but be above or below its ideal amplitude or above acceptable beat error? In other words, does Rolex guarantee that a new watch will stay within a certain rate, amplitude and beat error for the duration of the warranty period?
If a watch runs consistently within the -2 to +2 range, the rest should all line up. One can not run right without a good amplitude, or minimal beat error. (Rolex allows up to 0.8 error)
In other words, if the amplitude gets too low, the time will be affected, which will be noticed by the customer, and can be sent in for warranty work if deemed necessary.
I rarely see the amplitude "off" on the 31xx movements unless there's excessive metal dust from a scraping rotor, or the hairspring got magnetized.
The ideal amplitude on a fully wound watch is no lower than 270 degrees. From experience I know the 31xx's do better than 280 generally.

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote