View Single Post
Old 27 September 2020, 01:52 AM   #16
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Also, didn't I just see a nice thread here about True Dome non Rolex crystals being promoted for vintage Submariners ????????????

It seems that many collectors enjoy and use these crystals, especially due to the lesser prices when compared to much more expensive Rolex crystals. Am I missing something?
100 percent agree. You either embrace total originality (or at least period correctness), or you don't. Not sure I understand the concept of "this aftermarket part is OK, but this one isn't." It's more about a philosophy than practicality, because a crystal is obviously more important for the safety of a watch than an insert. Still, that doesn't change the facts.

Either way, I just wouldn't put ANY after-market parts on my vintage watches, whether it's a crystal, crown, insert, dial, hands (including color-matching), etc .... Heck, I was bothered for years simply by the service bezel on my 6263, so I shelled out a ton of money for an NOS original. Did it really matter? Well, psychologically, yes it did.

However, I also have no problem with anyone doing whatever they want on their own watches. It's a hobby, so do what makes you happy. It's all good.
swish77 is online now   Reply With Quote