View Single Post
Old 23 September 2022, 02:11 PM   #1151
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Once gray/used prices on SS models fall below retail, AD shelves will start to populate. Then the game will be up, at least for awhile.

After the recession, people will forget these times. Grays will again corner the market and drive up prices, and we'll be right back to the bad old days again.
There was a perfect storm that gave a lot of people more money than they ever expected or deserved; the end of the recession won't necessarily mean the economy gets as crazy as before. I made a small fortune in real estate and lost a lot of money in 08-09 (on paper anyway). That experience made me more cautious during the recent run up in asset prices.

Hopefully there are lessons learned by the "windfall rich", who decided it was okay to pay 100%+++ markup over MSRP, and they are a bit tighter with their money in the future. The idea of mass produced watches as an "asset class" is pretty new (grey dealers on Youtube proclaiming "watches never go down in price" ) and no doubt a lot of "investors" are getting burned, or at a minimum are upside right now.

I also have some hope that the influencers & hype chasers find another trinket to latch onto and watches aren't the "it thing" going forward. Their popularity on such a grand scale is/was a new phenomenon and it may fade with time.

I hope anyway...