View Single Post
Old 24 September 2022, 10:08 AM   #1153
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post

After the recession, people will forget these times. Grays will again corner the market and drive up prices, and we'll be right back to the bad old days again.

In my opinion:

You and a lot of others are defaulting to watches still maintaining the same amount of popularity post 'hype'/being worth more than retail. 100% there are some new faces who are into horology, but that number is incredibly small in the overall picture. As prices continue to fall back down, owners will leave in droves, new buyers will dry up and we'll settle around MSRP. I know for a fact there's tons of guys who have their entire savings strapped on the wrist because they think it's a good investment. When that starts dissipating they will sell ASAP to recoup what they paid as it's quite literally, most all of the money they have.

Furthermore, I think a run up like the last 2 years will never happen again. Just like the stimulus money, the stock market, so many variables....this was a once in a lifetime thing....I highly doubt anything like this will ever happen again in my lifetime.

Why is everyone casually forgetting that around 2015/2016 Swiss watchmakers were doing serious market research at how to get individuals back into horology as it was starting to be seen as an antiquated trinket? Are people really this blind to think this type of market reality will never return? Watches are not an essential good, they're overpriced jewelry.

If anything though, this all circles back to, it's absolutely insane to ever look at watches as a store of wealth and especially not an investment.