Thread: 5172g chrono
View Single Post
Old 8 October 2021, 03:20 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Thank you. I’m still hoping someone can help me understand why this watch is 70k+
I know it’s white gold but not much.
I know it’s a manual wind chrono
I’m not trying to talk bad about the watch. I was really drawn to it. I am just trying to understand the really high cost.
https://watchesbysjx.com/2012/05/und...e-century.html

The above article highlights the history of Patek chrono watches. A pocket chrono has been produced for over 150 year history and their manual wind chrono is at almost a 100 year history. If you look at auction prices, some of these older Patek chronos go for very high dollar amounts.

The real question becomes, why buy a Patek watch in the first place? You can easily buy a Daytona for a fraction of a Patek chrono and many people will go that route. You will see plenty of people value Rolex as a brand much higher than Patek at a more "affordable" price. That is true. Patek watches and collectors are a different breed once you start looking deeper into it though.

I would definitely consider your options and see what alternatives are out there before diving into your first Patek or a Patek chrono. Don't get caught up in the hype is what I mean. The 5172 will be around if you decide not to buy it right now.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote