View Single Post
Old 13 August 2012, 09:44 PM   #87
Puffy
"TRF" Member

great first post and welcome mate

might be easier to look for a whole insert than just the pearl.. reckon you can find one for $200 or so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian View Post
On its way out for restoration soon I hope. Needs a solid servicing, original bracelet needs rebuilding, needs a cleaning and it is missing its pearl @ 12 O'Clock.

I picked this watch up on ebay about 13 years ago for around $3k after settling into my first 'corporate' job where I was doing pretty well. It was a big risk to buy, kinda stupid, but thats the way these things work out sometimes. I just really had my heart set on a red for some reason and this became my daily wearer for 8 years or so. It and I have visited India, all over Europe, all over the US as well as some time in Central America so its seen its fair share of knock-arounds and miles.

Once the pearl fell out and the kids came along I retired it into a drawer where its sat quietly for the occasional trip outside. I've decided to bring it back to the best condition I can get it in, wear it more often and hope to give it to my son when he gets married in 20 years or so :)

The odd thing about this watch is that the serial is 3.3m or so (I think, may be 3.1, its hard to read) but it looks to have the MK4 dial on it with barely open 6's. There were 300k or so cross-overs so I think this is in that range.

So, here are the terrible photos I took. I'll post new ones in a month or so when its bright and shiny.

Next up: a GMT from ~1972 or so when I can find the right one.