View Single Post
Old 5 April 2020, 10:39 AM   #3
burneyr
"TRF" Member

I'll try and assist - welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of reasons to choose either a Luminor or a Radiomir. It's just preference whether you like the ''onion'' or the locking lever. I will say if you enjoy changing straps the Luminor is far far more convenient. I might change my Radiomir strap twice a year, but my Luminor sometimes three days a week. If the Rad appeals to you there is no reason not to go in that direction. You will likely end up with both anyway.

Speaking for myself - I am not a fan of Panerai's in house movements. I will eventually end up with one, but I am putting it off as long as I can. Panerai service seems to be a mixed bag with just enough horror stories to make me skeptical. I prefer the older ETA based models as my watchmaker can service any of those easily and inexpensively. The newer movements have steadily increased in quality, but I remember the early 8 Day models running fast for a good number of forum members. I wouldn't spend extra money for 8 Days of reserve.

Given my prejudice for the older models and your size request I would be looking for a Radiomir 210. If you like the second hand there are so many Base logo Radiomir 380 models out there under $4,000 you could be picky about finding one. I noticed one dealer had six available alone. Neither the 210 or 380 are rare and you can find a nice one well under your stated budget even if you figure an immediate service into the price.

I have a Black Bay Red, and I believe you will find a Radiomir to wear about the same. The Rad will look bigger since the dial is larger with no rotating bezel, but the real estate it will occupy will be similar. I would take a photo for you in comparison, but I have a 232 and it is 47mm instead of 45mm.

I hope this is of help. There are far more knowledgeable Panerai fans here that will soon be along to add. Best of luck in your decision and again welcome!
burneyr is offline   Reply With Quote