View Single Post
Old 30 May 2023, 06:30 PM   #4159
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedCraig View Post
I think for two reasons, first what @csaltphoto said and two because the overwhelming majority of 32xx owners are clueless about the problem. As to why most people don’t know, here are some reasons I’ve posted elsewhere (apologies to those who’ve already seen this):

Reasons why the 32xx movement issue might be undercounted and not common knowledge outside of enthusiast circles (in no particular order):

-Few people own timegraphers so many in the “my 32xx watch runs great” crowd don’t know what their amplitude is.

-Many watches are safe queens, especially newer models.

-Many newer watches are, um, new, and haven’t developed the problem. “I just got my BLRO and it’s run great in the first month!”

-Many people have collections and rotate their watches so frequently that -10spd or more just isn’t noticed.

-People who follow and post WUS and TRF are a tiny minority of Rolex owners.

-Rolex is jewelry now so who cares about timekeeping? I’m seeing this comment more and more and it shocks me that people on WUS/TRF say this. I understand this being the case for the general public, though.

-Major watch blogs and YouTubers are too afraid to open this can of worms for fear of being blacklisted by the watch industry. Kudos to Worn&Wound for asking what’s going on.

-Grey market dealers and flippers want to keep the issue quiet so people don’t start hesitating about buying watches with 32xx movements. Regular owners who frequently sell their watches are also in this category.

-People who paid a lot of money for a Rolex can’t bear to think their precious is anything but perfect.

-The Rolex ecosystem of ADs, SAs, RSC staff have a vested interest in not admitting anything is wrong. This is the Rolex way. The fact that a few insiders have admitted to problems suggests to me quite a widespread issue.
Excellent post.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote