Thread: Omega vs Rolex
View Single Post
Old 20 August 2018, 08:31 AM   #75
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

OK Now that I've revived a dead thread

What I was going to tell the OP was that it depends on what you are looking for from a watch. I've had many watches and currently have an old Rolex 18038 yellow gold day date. It reminds me of the ads by people like Red Adair (Google is your friend) in Rolex ads pointing at a burning oil derrick. For decades I thought that if someone really worked hard, and was successful at what they did, someday they would be entitled to wear a yellow gold Day Date Presidential. I had no clue as to whether it was a 3035, 3135, 3235 or whether it had a parachrome bleu spring, or anything. It just spelled "success" to me with an amount of field usability that Jaeger LeCoultre, Patek Phillippe, Blancpain and others (except maybe an Audemars Piaget Royal Oaks Offshore) didn't.

On the other hand, I live at the ocean, sail, and sometimes spend time in seawater (intentional or otherwise). I want to be able to tell time in two time zones when I am traveling. I want to only have one watch with me when I'm staying in hotel rooms and be able to see the time clearly in all conditions, day or night. And I want it to be able to take a hard hit, and not be so "rich guy" looking that I take the hard hit in the wrong neighborhood. Hard to beat an Omega 45.5 Planet Ocean Chronograph for that with the 9300 movement, the 15,000 gauss anti-magnetism, 2,000 feet of fall in the water resistance, and so on.

So depending on the circumstances and what someone specifically wants or needs from a watch, both brands are the very best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized double watch wrist shot.jpg (34.5 KB, 309 views)
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote