View Single Post
Old 25 May 2008, 11:40 PM   #95
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Well, I hate to be the curmudgeon here but... I've never cared for the Exp II. The primary reason is the bezel. The course brushed finish has always stuck me as crude and unbecoming for such an expensive watch. Being fixed causes me pause as well. Overall, the balance of having the bezel the same color as the case and bracelet, especially with the white face, leaves me wanting for more contrasting style points. The overall look of the white faced version is just a bit too bland for me. I prefer the black faced version better for the reasons cited but that still leaves the bezel.

As in the original Exp II, if you truly want to track mil-time, there are much more discreet ways of doing so, like the chapter ring or additional scale on the dial. Having those large numbers and devoting the entire bezel to just that purpose seems like a poor use of resources. With the advent of the 3185 and the 'jump hour' hand, to track a second time zone requires resetting your watch on the Exp II. If traveling, especially for short durations, a quick turn of the bezel is much more convenient.

In the end, were I contemplating buying another Rolex, the Exp II just wouldn't be on my wish list. It's just me and my warped sensibilities. I certainly don't pass judgement on those who do. Different strokes after all.

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote