View Single Post
Old 27 December 2007, 02:23 PM   #108
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Karis, I have an older brother - age 46 - and a sister age 50 and neither had kids. My brother is currently divorced for the second time, but he never had the interest in having kids and neither did my sister.

I guess I am sort of a rebel, because I didn't worry too much about what others thought about my not wanting kids. Most people didn't get it, but to me, when I was younger and working and basically goofing off, I knew that if I had kids I'd have to grow up and put someone else before myself. I just wasn't ready to do that. I also felt that if I ever DID have kids, I wouldn't want to put them in daycare, so I'd have to be sure we could live on my husband's salary alone. Well, when we were in our early thirties he changed careers and started medical school - so everything in our lives was on hold while we focused on his mission. We knew that eventually I could be a stay at home mom, but not until he finished school and started his internship and residency. As it was, Phoebe was born his final year of school, but I had tons of leave and vacation time from my job and just when it ran out, his internship salary kicked in.

I know what you mean that nothing is guaranteed - I remember telling my husband, "what if we have kids and they don't like me?" At this point, they do, but none has reached adolescence yet! And as adults, there's no telling - my brother hasn't communicated with anyone in the family for four years. Deciding to have kids involves some risks, for sure. Waiting is always safe.

I'm rambling a bit... sorry!
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote