View Single Post
Old 21 December 2015, 09:58 AM   #58
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
I recently purchased Mondani's famous "Collecting Rolex Submariner". The book is massive, 265 pages of thick-stock glossy paper, filled with images of our favorite tool watches

Great book, highly recommend. As excellent a reference book on Submariners (and Sea-Dwellers) as it may be, I'm not sure it is a complete work. Yes, it contains all the key versions of the Submariner, Submariner Date and Sea-Dweller. They even included the Deep-Sea (both versions - I have their 2015 edition) as well as the SD4K.

You've got your James Bonds, Gilt, Spider, Ghost, Red, Red-Depth, Underline, Exclamation-Point, Bart Simpson, meters-first, "At-The-Top", COMEX, MilSub, Double-Red, Great-White, etc. Heck, there's even three dial-versions of the 16600, not including the COMEX and Italian Police-divers ("Polipetto") versions!

Everything you could wish for... except for maybe the A-Series SWISS dial... . So naturally my first thought was "oh no, they were right, it's just another Service Dial...". And maybe it is. The thing is I'm still convinced that most of (if not the whole) A-series were assembled with SWISS dials.

Furthermore, the bezel is from the MK-I (tritium) period as well as the caseback on my A-series (the inner-side of the "MK-I" / Tritium casebacks are stamped with "16600" while the "official" lume dials, Mondani's MK-II and MK-III dials, are stamped with "2220" - Rolex's contemporary coding).

Given the above, I could easily conclude that my 16600 was originally a MK-I T-dial that was serviced by Rolex... if it were not for the sheer quantity of A-series with SWISS dials out there. As such, the possibility that this is indeed a transition dial still exists.

And I'm not the only one to think so...
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=265018
They are able to show that the 16600 SWISS dial and the Service dial have different fonts (for example, the longer "f" in "ft" as well as added spacing)

But for now, my SWISS-dial 16600 will have to settle for the pages of the T-dial, 16600-caseback, fat-four bezel MK-I...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote