View Single Post
Old 6 April 2020, 12:07 AM   #5283
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I certainly can’t speak for your neck of the woods, or anywhere else I suppose. Here, as long as the death is natural and the physician who knows the patient feels he/she is able to have a decent stab at the cause of death, they can issue a death certificate and the Coroner does not need to get involved. Just this past week I certified a nursing home resident as having died of a “lower respiratory tract infection” (with a confirmed case of CV19 in the same home). In the current climate it is pretty likely she died of COVID-19 but in the absence of laboratory evidence it went unrecorded as such. Everything reported in the news relating to mortality generally reflects what’s going on in hospitals, but hereabouts more people die in the community.
Shouldn’t we be testing people dying in these circumstances so we have accurate stats? Would be helpful if we could rely on the numbers dying due to Covid.

If we can’t capture accurate numbers in the U.K., I dread to think of the under-reporting coming out of developing countries.