View Single Post
Old 15 January 2010, 06:58 AM   #30
dkpw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 & 214270
Great review

Thanks for the excellent review, Chris, which is reminiscent of the ever popular John Holbrook review, although with a different calibre of Seamaster.

I read his comparison when considering updating my TAG Sports two years ago and although attracted by the many positive attributes and price of the Seamaster, there were a number of aesthetic issues with the Omega offering which made me eventually decide on a Submariner.
  • I'm not a fan of the skeleton hands on the co-ax model, nor the sword hands on the classic 2254.50.00 reviewed by John.
  • The scalloped bezel produces some odd angles to my eye and does not look like it would be that easy to turn. You'll have to forgive me, as I've only held a Seamaster once and did not turn the bezel, so I'm just going on appearances.
  • The red tip to the second hand seems out of place.
  • The waves on the dial are a nice touch, but I prefer the plain gloss of the Sub.
  • The hour markers on your co-ax model are an improvement in my opinion to those on the 2254.50.00, which were too intrusive.
  • The provision of an external HEV at 11 o'clock, compared to the Rolex implementation, looks uncomfortable, rather clunky and far less sophisticated.

So these are a few of the reasons why I could not have a Seamaster on my wrist.

Don't get me wrong, Omega are a great brand and I bought a Speedmaster to compliment my Sub - sadly this has been away for a new bezel and a repair from new for FOUR MONTHS.

So thanks again for taking the time to post your review and nice blog!

David
dkpw is offline   Reply With Quote